duminică, 15 septembrie 2013

Using A List To Get More Done

I consider myself a creative person, an abstract thinker. As such, I can often be easily distracted by ideas, interruptions, etc. Some people call it A.D.D. I prefer to think of it as being someone who is easily inspired - a go-with-the-flow person.

Whatever you want to call it, at times it can be a hindrance to getting certain things done. I usually barrel a task once I've gotten going. But when it comes to the "things" that have to "get done", they often stand little better than a 50/50 chance unless I put them on a list.

If you're anything like me, you know what I'm talking about.

It's not that we're lazy or ineffective, we just forget about the stuff that doesn't ring our chimes.

Luckily for me, my wife is a list person. Being the home-based, entrepreneurial Mr. Mom that I am, she provides me with shopping lists, chore lists, etc. It's really helpful for me. I supplement her lists with my own simple to do list.

The thing about many creative people is they like that they "go with the flow". If you've ever been concerned that using a to do list would somehow stifle your creative spirit, think again. It will actually enhance it.

I usually work on multiple work projects at a time. I do the cooking, the grocery shopping and help my teenage daughter manage her increasingly busy life. When I put the various tasks I need to do on my list, I can forget about them for the moment while I work on what I'm working on at the time.

If I don't put new tasks on my list, I invariably take up creative space in my brain remembering the thing I did not write down and I feel stressed! bI prefer using the creative brain space for creative stuff instead of "must get done" stuff.

Another great thing about to do lists is that they help keep you in action when you're inexplicably idle.

Have you ever felt like you have so much to do sometimes that you don't know where to begin? When that happens to me, I just consult my list and do whatever seems quickest and easiest.

When I'm having a tough time getting started, especially on something big, zipping through a series of minor tasks on my list can be the antidote. When a task is completed, I either cross it out or, even better, I highlight it.

The beauty is that "write a chapter of my book" takes up the same one line of space on my list as "clean the litter box" or "respond to so-and-so's email". When I have several items on my list highlighted, I feel like I've accomplished something, which makes accomplishing more that much easier.

Maybe you're already a list person. If so, you can probably appreciate what I'm talking about.

If you're a go-with-the-flow person like I am, and you haven't tried using lists in awhile, give it a try. You might be pleasantly surprised when your level of accomplishment goes up and your stress level goes down.

access point vs router

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu